CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Cheerleaders come to visit.

Yesterday was the beginning of our weekend. It was an overall pretty calm day: I slept in until 10, ate some brunch, went back to sleep, was woken to play racquetball and basketball for 4 hours, watched a movie, ate a light dinner and headed straight back to the gym for another intense workout. Walking back from the gym I heard music coming from the O'Deuce amphitheater. The outdoor theatre was named in remembrance of the 1985 plane crash in New Foundland which claimed the lives of 245 101st Airborne soldiers returning home from their MFO deployment.

The music coming from the speakers at the corners of the brightly lit stage illuminated the 75 or so people sitting on the stone benches of the Romanesque-style theatre. Armed Forces Entertainment company, who hires performers and musicians to entertain soldiers deployed to various locations, unbeknownest to me, had organized a song and dance performance by the Atlanta Falcons cheerleaders for our entertainment at the O'Deuce. I arrived just before the start of the performance and found a few guys in my platoon to sit with. The show included crowd participation events, solo singing performances, baton twirling, as well as gymnastic dance and traditional cheerleading routines. It was nice to do something else besides watch movies or go to the gym. The hour long show was over by 8:30.

I walked back to my room while talking to Miss Paige, and fell asleep around 9:30. I slept for twelve hours straight, waking up this morning at a quarter to ten. It felt great to sleep so long, doing a whole lot of nothing but busy work all week wore my out.

Today I plan on returning to the beach, if possible, not in my Speedo this time. I think they're having a pick-up softball game today [Update: I never made it to the beach, and they did have a pickup game today, my team won 7-3, I went 3/4 at the plate and had 2 doubles and a single] which I'll definitely be joining in on. The gym and watching a few movies I rented from the South Camp library are also on the agenda for tonight. Tomorrow we go back to work.

Picture today is of the Atlanta Falcons cheerleader's performance.

0 comments: