CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Settled In


Although I haven't really slept, null a few cat naps, since I arrived in Egypt, I have quickly become acclimated to both the slight cultural differences and lifestyle of a middle eastern society, as well as having adjusted to military life in a hostile environment. Our seriousness towards the mission hasn't changed, but the reality of danger is finally viable. I'm sure some of you may read this and automatically worry... there is no imminent danger, merely environmental danger resulting from the volatile region I am in. Preparedness is the best protection you can afford yourself in such an occupation. Precautions are taken to ensure nothing happens to any of our soldiers.

I've been here now for just about 3 days... feels a bit longer, obviously because of my lack of sleep. Aside from being jet lagged, I am fairly well situated. My belongings have found their way into place and I've already developed a routine. I've dedicated a lot of time to working out these past few days, hopefully something I continue as the year progresses. Yesterday was a fairly relaxed day, aside from the occasional detail to do some small tasks in the area of operation, it was spent relaxing on the patio in the sun and listening to music. Afterwards I played some horseshoes with the squad members, and of course my team always won. I guess all the practice at Nace family parties was good for something. A few of the NCO's jested about my throwing stance, guess I throw like my Dad... but the jabs quickly dissipated once I got back to back to back ringers. After my conquest at 'shoes, my roommate and neighbors and I went to the gym to play racquetball. I'm not so fair at this game, but it's quite a workout, so I enjoy it. After a break for dinner I went back to the gym to work on the heavy bag some, it feels great to work out again. My main motivation and inspiration to continue exercising comes from my mom; she's an amazing person with infinite determination, and I love her for that. Thanks again, mom, for all that you do for me, and Ken and Shannon, we really do appreciate it.

As far as my experience with the new culture, it's actually pretty neat. While I have had minimal contact with locals of any kind, the interactions I have had with civilian (Egyptian) contractors on the Camp has been quite an experience. Most of them speak English, but they usually reply in Arabic. I have already learned a few words, mainly greetings. They are very open to greeting and like when we reply (or try at least) in Arabic. Most everything is written in Arabic and annotated in English. Even my new cell phone has Arabic characters on the keypad, i get texts from my service provider in Arabic, and all of the customer support is in Arabic... not so easy. Remembering how to say words is difficult, but the difficulty of learning to read or write Arabic is a whole different challenge. I really hope to start learning more while I am over here.

I've updated my blog more often than I thought I'd be able to. Our internet is finally up and running at full speed, so expect to see e-mails from me eventually. The pace of our duties is bound to pick up sooner or later, but so long as I am afforded the opportunity to relax and enjoy my new environment, I'm planning on using what resources I have. There's still so much to see and do here, but so far, I'm having a great time. Today is another off day, so I'll undoubtedly hit the gym and just stay busy. Also, I need to take care of my laundry... luckily theres only one option, and that's a laundry service... $2-$3 depending on whichever circumstance they decide for as large of a bag of laundry as you desire; folding and shrink wrapping included... not a bad deal. Alright, it's nearly lunchtime already, and you all back home are still asleep. Bizarre to say the least.

I included a picture of my room, which fits the title of the post quite well, and also was able to update my Room with a View Post, check out the pictures. My living accommodations are pretty good. Enjoy, and have a wonderful day. I love and miss you all.

0 comments: