CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

A New Adventure

Today marks Day 3 of our first twenty-some-odd day field mission on the Sinai. So far, things have been stressful. Am I surprised? Certainly not. Just another day in the MFO. It has now been over 3 months since our mobilization, and subsequently over 100 days, not that I'm counting. In fact, I've come to realize that while countdowns sound great, they ultimately just remind me of how far I've to go. Optimistic thinking also reminds me that I'm getting closer to coming home!
As initially inferred, the days spent out in the field here go by rather quickly, but are no easier than the slow days on South Camp. I'd much prefer solid lines of communication with back home and slow days over weeks of non-contact, but the variety sure is nice. I always welcome a change of scenery. At least now we're able to put all of our hard training to use.
I have been afforded the opportunity to select when I want to work. I picked night shift. I enjoy doing my job, even if the nights are slow and often tedious. I usually take the time during my shift to reflect on anything and everything. It's relatively peaceful, and aside from cars streaming by regularly, it's pretty quiet.
Our Observation Post, pictured above from a distance, is surrounded by a 1/4 mile security barrier consisting of sand filled blast walls and concertina wire (razor wire). Though well suited for the mission, it is surrounded by mountains, offering very little to observe, other than the Egyptian tank battalion base across the Zone A and Zone C border. We stay in Zone C, as per the Peace Treaty, and ensure they stay in Zone A, among other thing we're tasked to do while out there.

0 comments: